Start by checking to see what others are doing ... if they have done it ... how they did it ...
Well, today we are going to look at three apps to see (probably) how they do it.
- Growth Chart (old but good)
- Wellsheet (on Epic's app store)
- OneRecord (patient facing)
I made a sheet to help ...
Who is this for?
- Providers (embedded in EHR)
- Providers (standalone launch)
- Patients (embedded in the patient portal)
- Patients (standalone launch)
- Patients (proxies)
- Insurers, Researchers, Public Health, "Backend Access"
What change is it seeking to make?
- Take an action (medication reminder app)
- Manage something better (clinical guidelines, workflow)
- Change behavior / educate (diagnoses, medications, meals, etc)
- Fast, better, more productive (Radiohead's OK Computer )
Radiohead - Fitter Happier
About "Fitter Happier" Fitter Happier is a list of bullet points that diagnosed society for what it was, and where it was headed at the time of this song's release and arguably the world we live in now. It specifically lists it in a matter-of-fact way to reflect the entire ethos of modern society being unemotional and cold.
How do you enroll a patient/user? How do you launch it when it is needed? How do you know who needs it?
How To Design Products for EHR Integration using Clinical Workflows | Redox
You've got a great idea for a healthcare product that can save lives, reduce caretaker burnout, improve hospital safety ratings, improve access to care... Fantastic! Our healthcare system needs creative solutions like yours. But before you begin development, you need to be sure your product is designed to play well with electronic health record software (EHRs) and their diverse clinical workflows.
- System Event (ADT feed)
- Provider Initiated (Embedded in the EHR)
- Patient Initiated (Standalone Patient launch)
- Employer-Patient Initiated (Employee benefit - ie Hinge Health)
USCDI Data from FHIR
Observation, Device, DocumentReference, Binary, AllergyIntolerance, Condition, Procedure, Patient, Immunization, MedicationRequest
Other Stuff / Data / Hosting / Measure the Change
- Non USCDI - List / Appointment (Provider standalone)
- Write backs (like a clinical document into the EHR)
- Custom stuff on your AWS FHIRWorks, Azure, GCP, etc (see)
Boston Children's Growth Chart
Launch at https://launch.smarthealthit.org/
Analytics (minimal clicks, usage) - where to store this?
Non-USCDI List Resource (how to figure out patient in standalone launch)
Practice patterns (user → action mapping)
Length of Stay? extracts?
Tasks? Where to save these?
Number of EHRs connected per user?
Long lived token - secrets to query from webapp
No right answers, but my key ... what are you going to put in the top row?
AWS FHIR Works
Google Cloud Healthcare API
not storage focus, but do integrations
not storage, but make SMART apps
not storage but make cool stuff